This section was developed to help new and veteran growers alike. There is tons of useful information and it is constantly being updated with new material and topics. This page will serve as a table of contents with links to the articles. If you'd like to see an article about a topic that is not here please let me know.
Growing and Care
- Growing and Caring For Your Fig Tree Part 1 - Introduction and explanation of edible figs.
- Growing and Caring For Your Fig Tree Part 2 - Care of potted and in-ground trees; watering, feeding, soil and pruning.
- Growing and Caring For Your Fig Tree Part 3 - Winterizing your fig tree, varieties, and propagating.
- Growing and Caring For Your Fig Tree Part 4 - Pests, diseases, tips, and resources.
Buying Fig Trees
- Buying Fig Trees and Cuttings from the Internet - This is a buying-guide that I wrote for eBay in 2014. When figBid went live in 2017 I took it down from eBay, updated the information and posted it here. If you are new to buying please read this article.
- Be a Better Bidder - How to Bid and Win any Internet Auction - This is a great How-To for bidding. The article goes beyond the regular bidding fodder and describes in-depth bidding strategies to put you into the winner's circle.
Rooting Fig Cuttings
- How to Root Using the Fig-Pop Method - A Comprehensive step-by-step guide to the Fig-Pop method (rooting-in-a-bag) with tons of pictures and links to videos.
- Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention - In-depth and easy to understand article describing every element for a healthy potting mix. Written by Al (Tapla) Fassezke. Includes original recipes for 5:1:1 and 5:1:1:1 potting mixes. The best ever written on the subject. Also includes links to other articles written by the author about The Basics, How Plant Growth is Limited, Help Dealing with Water Retentive Soils, and Fertilizing Containerized Plants.
Selling & Shipping Fig Trees and Fig Cuttings
- Grow to Ship - How to Calculate Shipping Costs for Fig Trees & Cuttings - Up-to-date and in-depth article sharing economical methods to grow for shipping. Long read but easy to understand. Everyone from the home-grower shipping one tree to nurseries shipping one thousand will save time and money using the growing methods and tips shared in this article.