96 Jiffy® 50mm x 150mm Extra-Large Peat Pellets - Expand to 2" x 6" - Rooting
Largest peat-pellet available. Perfect to root fig cuttings and easy Fig-Pop's.
- Item # 976708
- Qty Available 3
This is a listing for ninety-six (96) Extra-Large Jiffy Peat Pellets. 50mm x 150mm. Fully expanded to an enormous 2" x 6", the largest non-custom peat-pellet available within the horticultural industry. Manufactured under strict standards and tolerances, the same that is expected from any Jiffy product. These Extra-Large Jiffy Peat Pellets are available in very few places and in limited quantities if they're available at all. I've negotiated a special deal with Jiffy to make these pellets available exclusively for figgers through figBid. Ships via USPS Priority Mail.
Jiffy® -7 Forestry Peat Pellets
Jiffy-7 Forestry Pellet design is based on the 'open-wall container and media all-in-one'. This design is not available on standard (smaller) retail, horticultural grade peat-pellets. Anyone familiar with the smaller retail peat-pellet design is also familiar with the finer net container and the issues presented to fig growers. The 'open-wall' concept is particularly important to fig growers in that it successfully secures root-pruning of the roots growing through the 'open-wall'. Root-pruning results in a faster establishment and more natural lateral root system that is easiest to transplant or up-pot. Additionally, the standard line of retail horticultural grade peat pellets contains added lime and consist of peat or peat/coir mixture. Jiffy-7 Forestry Pellets contain no lime and are completely neutral. They consist of 100% top-quality, sterile peat media, which Jiffy grades, screens, tests and analyzes on a consistent basis during manufacturing.
50mm x 150mm Jiffy-7 Forestry Pellets are perfect for rooting your fig cuttings. Expand to a little over 6 inches long, so they're well-suited for longer cuttings. These Extra-Large Jiffy Pellets are perfect for cups or fitted into smaller nursery pots. But they also fit in standard 1020 trays and flats with #804 inserts. That gives you a 4-pack of cuttings x 8 packs per insert for a total of 32 fig cuttings in a standard 1020 flat. That's a real space saver. The whole flat will fit neatly in a rooting bin for humidity control. Jiffy-7 Forestry Pellets are also perfectly suited for Fig-Pop's, giving you the ultimate control over your fig cuttings. After expanding your pellet, simply wring out at least half the water. Drill your cutting down into the pod and poke a few more holes in the bag with a toothpick. No rubber band is necessary to secure the cutting in place.
Please don't be fooled by lesser-quality, imported peat-pellets as they are not the same. Imported pellets contain fillers like sawdust and chemicals for binding and water retention. Jiffy-7 Forestry Peat Pellets contain sterile peat. They are completely inert and neutral.
The versatility of Jiffy-7 Extra-Large Forestry Peat Pellets
No rooting method is 100% reliable. But versatility is a key element and Jiffy-7 Extra-Large Foresty Peat Pellets are extremely versatile. With a small amount of tweaking, they will improve any modern rooting method. I've been using them since late last winter. Based on my experience:
- Extra-Large Jiffy-7 Forestry Peat Pellets can easily be used indoors with no mess.
- Slice through a node on the bottom portion of your fig cutting. Please see my free step-by-step Fig-Pop assembly instructions for instructions.
- Using any method, I've had better luck when wrapping the exposed portion of the fig cutting with parafilm.
- After the peat pellet is fully expanded, wring out a portion of the water. Wring out less if rooting on a heat mat.
- If rooting on a heat mat the peat pellets will dry out quickly so keep the thermostat at a lower temperature than you may be used to with other rooting methods. For me, I went from 79F to 74F. Additionally, I found it was better to use a humidity bin with a heat mat, then rotate the cuttings as the outer cuttings will dry out faster.
- The peat pellets work very well when used with traditional 'cup' methods and a humidity bin.
- Have had the highest success rate using the Fig-Pop method with the exposed portion of the fig cutting wrapped in parafilm. Wring out at least half the water from the expanded peat pod. Put extra holes in the bags using your toothpick. Don't secure the rubber band around the cutting but keep it handy. Some will root quicker and dry out the pod right away. In this case, secure the rubber band around the cutting.
- Extra-Large Jiffy-7 Forestry Peat Pellets have given me a higher up-potting success rate than any other method, including retail horticultural peat pods.
Shipping and Combined Shipping
NYCfigs ships on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. We may ship on additional days but we'll always get your order shipped out as fast as possible and get tracking information to you in a timely manner. In order to save customers money, some items are shipped at a discounted rate (USPS First Class, flat parcel rate, and USPS Letter Envelope rate), and tracking information is not provided by USPS. Additionally, shipping at a discounted rate may delay the delivery of your package, even to locations close to where we ship. Please be aware we do our best working with the Post Office to get your package to you as quick as possible and this is no fault of the seller.
We never pass expensive shipping charges to the customer and always ship as economically as possible. Sometimes this becomes a juggling act between cost-of-goods vs. cost-of-container vs. shipment size vs. shipping cost vs. margins. With combined shipping, it's all in the packing and we'll always find the most inexpensive shipping method available. But there are times when it's impossible to ship economically and we'll always let you know before paying. The shipping for all items sold by NYCfigs will combine automatically with all other items purchased from NYCfigs. Items that ship free can't be discounted. In the rare instance of excess shipping charges, NYCfigs will refund the excess after the invoice is paid. This ensures your items are received in a timely manner.